The list below is based on two “rival” blogs, Joel Runyon’s Blog of Impossible Things and Steve Kamb’s Nerd Fitness. These two guys have done some crazy awesome things that are worth reading about. In my own quest to live a life worthy of a blog, or a book, or a New York Times obituary, I also set my own “badass goals” that I keep updated!
Run a 10k[10/4/14 Carrboro 10k]
Run a Half Marathon[5/6/12 Providence, RI; 9/29/12 Cherokee, NC; 4/20/13 Morris Broadband Half Marathon at DuPont Forest…] Run a Marathon[April 16, 2012 Boston, MA; March 3, 2013 Asheville, NC, Nov, 2013 Philadelphia, PA] Run a sub 2 hour Half Marathon[3/16/14 Asheville, NC]
Run a sub 4 hour Marathon[Nov 5, 2017, NYC Marathon] Run an UltraMarathon [March, 2015 Mountains to Sea 50k Raleigh, NC; April 2016 MTS 50K]
Run a 50 mile race[Oct. 14, 2017 Pilot Mountain to Hanging Rock]
- Run A Triathlon
Sprint Distance[2011 DC Tri; 2011 Amica Boston; 2011 Amica Newport; 2012 Asheville Tri; 2012Amica Charlotte; 2012 Lake Lure Tri; 2013 Asheville Tri; 2014 Asheville tri; 2015 Carolina Wellness SuperSprint] Olympic Distance[2012 King of the Smokies tri; 2012 Rev3Tri Anderson, SC; 2013 Rev3Tri Knoxville, TN; 2013 Lake Logan Olympic; 2014 Rev3 Knoxville] Half Ironman[2013 Ironman 70.3 Raleigh; 2014 Ironman70.3 Boulder; 2014 Lake Logan Half; 2015 Beach2Battleship Half, 2016 Lake Logan half] Ironman[IM Chattanooga 2016]
- Run A sub 24 minutes 5k
- Run the Leadville heavy half marathon
- Learn parkour
100 consecutive pushups [completed 1/11/13] 200 Consecutive bodyweight squats[completed 2/14/14]
- 15 Consecutive Pullups
- Do 10 consecutive Handstand Pushups
Run an obstacle course/mud run[Spartan Sprint Carolinas 3/23/13]
- Complete a GoRuck Challenge
- Visit Every Continent
North America South America Europe Asia
- Antarctica (and go swimming…)
Hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu[Winter 2015/16]
The Golden Circle excursion in Iceland[Spring 2013]
- Take an adventure trip to New Zealand
- Ride on the trans-Siberian railroad
Bike across Thailand, Cambodia, or Vietnam[Winter 2014]
- Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro
- Run the Safaricom Marathon in Kenya
- Drink Westvleteren beer in Belgium
- Go Swimming in Every Ocean [
Pacific; Atlantic; Indian? (Gulf of Thailand)]
- Travel For 1 Year Straight
- Buy and use an around the world plane ticket
- Obtain dual citizenship with another country
- Go without internet for a month
- Go without a car for a month (technically did this for two years in college but that was with my car across the country)
- Own less than 300 things
- Sort all clothes into two suitcases, one summer and one winter
Create a “Getaway” Backpack
- Go Skydiving
- Go Bungee Jumping
- Go Scuba-diving
Go Paragliding[June 2008 Zermatt, Switzerland]
- Go Parasailing
- Surf off the coast of 4 countries [Hawaii, USA]
- Learn to Kitesurf
Bike Across a country Hike/Climb a Volcano[Jan. 2009 Mt. Pacaya, Guatemala] Hike on a Glacier[March 2013 Solheimajokull glacier, Iceland]
- Learn to Whitewater Kayak
- Take a Stunt/professional Driving Course
- Be an Extra in a Movie
- Read more than 20 books for fun every year. [
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017]
- Write a book.
- Go to the airport and buy a ticket without knowing where I’m going.
- Get something named after me.
Events To Attend
FIFA World Cup South Africa [June/July 2010] Bonus: 2015 Women’s World Cup Canada
- Olympic Games
- New Orleans Jazz Fest
- See The Northern Lights
Renaissance Woman (aka female James Bond)
- Learn to ride a motorcycle
- Learn to fly a plane or helicopter
- Play in a poker game with somewhat major stakes
- Learn Krav Maga or other martial art
- Become fluent in another language
Future career aspirations
Go to graduate school.
- Become a certified personal trainer or triathlon coach.
- Start a non-profit org/ international NGO.
- Put $100,000 in the bank.
- Give $100,000 away.